We are into our sixth week of high school football in the Lowcountry, if you can believe it. For most schools in our area, they have already figured out what their season will be like or will very soon. For many smaller schools in the area, half the season is already over.
Last week was a week with some exciting games. Summerville lost to Wando at home in a game that wasn't as close as the score indicated. Goose Creek won big over Fort Dorchester. That game was close into the 2nd quarter, but just like what they have done to most schools in the state, they pulled away.
Bluffton had a statement win against James Island. The score was 50-10 but all ten of the points JI had were on either special teams or defense. JI has a rare off-week this week as they hit the half-way mark at 2-3.
Berkeley. What has this school gone to under Jeff Cruce? Losing 18-7 at home to Manning? Not good for them. Hanahan also had a big win over Edisto.
This week has several interesting games. There is no Thursday game this week because the Panthers are playing Thursday night.
5) Goose Creek at Dutch Fork: First, we go to the Midlands. Goose Creek coming into Columbia for this game might be one of the biggest games of the year there. 107.5 the Game is airing the game live. Dutch Fork is 2-2: having beaten Fort Mill and Rock Hill and losing by one to St. X of Louisville. Goose Creek is just too good. They have too much talent on both sides of the ball. DF might make it close in the first half and maybe the third quarter, but the Gators will pull away.
4) Woodland at Academic Magnet: Woodland has opened up a lot of eyes this year. They are 3-1, with a win over 4A Colleton County. They also went to Barnwell (not an easy place to win) and defeated the War Horses 33-8. Academic Magnet has stud RB Stuart Walters. They are 3-1, but their loss was a region loss to Bishop England 42-0.
Magnet is looking to become the winningest team in school history; a win here would certainly help that mark. It will be tough though. Woodland has a good team. Look for this to be a competitive game in western Dorchester County.
3) Carolina Forest at Beaufort. This will be an intriguing game. Carolina Forest comes down from the Grand Strand, but Beaufort looks to bounce back after a tough loss against Cane Bay.
2) Ashley Ridge at Cane Bay. A very good game between these two schools in a rivalry which has developed quickly. Both schools started the same year, and played each other even when they were small schools. Now, this is a very important game for both teams. Cane Bay has become one of the best teams in the area with a win over Summerville, one over Beaufort and a win over Berkeley.
They haven't lost a home game since 2010 (disclaimer, one of my nephews, Jeremy is a senior there this year). Ashley Ridge is 1-3, having lost to Wando, Stratford and Goose Creek. This will be a very competitive game. Look for it to go down to the last possession.
1) Fort Dorchester at Wando. This game shares game of the week honors with AR-Cane Bay, and this will be a dandy. Wando is 5-0, in their last game before the four-game gauntlet of region play (West Ashley, Stratford, Goose Creek, and Cane Bay).
QB Christian Hart has become probably the second-best pure passer in the Lowcountry behind Jacob Park at Stratford. He has a lot of weapons on both sides of the ball too, with TE Taylor Kimball one of the team's leaders.
Wando also has one of the best FG kickers in the state, Casey Clawson. Fort Dorchester is 2-2, but their record doesn't show it. They had a close loss to Stratford and got blown out by Goose Creek. They are a young team as I said last week, but they will be primed and ready for this one.
Those are just some of the game which will be interesting to watch tonight. Please support your team!