Hard to believe, but we are already on our fourth week of the high school football season. Most teams will be playing their 3rd game of the season this week, but a few (James Island and Wando included) will be playing their 4th.
This season so far has been exciting. Last week's games were pretty good, with James Island and Wando having statement wins (James Island over their big rival West Ashley, Wando over Ashley Ridge) Summerville also came back to their winning ways, beating up Berkeley 36-12. If the Stags don't get it together this week, there will be some problems in Moncks Corner.
In my game of the week Fort D beat Cane Bay in OT. Hanahan defeated Bishop England and Stratford is coming back to it's late 1990s ways, soundly defeating Sumter.
This week is one of the better weeks of the season so far. There are several interesting games, especially in 4A.
5) Berkeley at Cane Bay: After two years as a region game, Cane Bay moves into 4A, making this a non-region game. This game is still very important. Cane Bay hasn't lost a home game since 2010, and Berkeley coach Jeff Cruce is beginning to get naysayers for his team's poor play, losing 36-12 to Summerville last week
4) Fort Dorchester at Stratford. You know it's a good week if this is the 4th most important game of the week. You have 2 great teams, both 2-0 with good wins and interesting stories. This is Channel 4's game of the week, and will be very interesting. Look for this to be a very good one.
3) Ashley Ridge at West Ashley. A must-win game for both teams. Both are 0-2, and weren't expected to be that. Ashley Ridge is the favorite in this game, but it is a very important one. The loser of this game will be in a big hole for a chance at a winning record, even though it is early.
2) Summerville at Goose Creek. Any time these two football titans play, it is a big game. Goose Creek is a big favorite, but Goose Creek will be sold out for this game. Summerville is a very young team, who looked good last week, but as Brendan Clark said in Thursday's newspaper, this is Goose Creek.
1) Porter-Gaud at Bishop England. A good one tonight (Thursday) on Daniel Island. These two bitter rivals (the two largest private schools in the area), haven't played in the last five years because of stuff that happened between the two schools at a basketball game. Bishop England had a tough loss against Hanahan last week, but they look to bounce back this week in a big way. Porter-Gaud will be ready too for this televised game.
James Island at Georgetown is a big game too, and so is Colleton County at Wando for Wando, who looks to go 4-0. Also, First Baptist goes to James Island Christian in the first game between two James Island rivals in the regular season since James Island and Fort Johnson split.
This will be a great weekend. Enjoy the games!