Hard to believe that for the non-4A teams in the Lowcountry, there are only two weeks left in the regular season. High school football flies by every year. There's three weeks left for the 4A schools.
I was out of town last Friday night, but what I saw on my Twitter and Facebook feeds about the games were very interesting.
Wando did a great job against Stratford to move to 8-0. It was surprising how badly they beat them. Summerville, like I said last week, may be turning a corner. They are now 4-4. McKissick needs just two wins for 600 in his career.
Goose Creek had the best game of the week. National TV, against a big region rival, and they dominate over Cane Bay. 55-0 in a game that was over after a quarter. Hanahan impressed over James Island in the game I saw Thursday.
Berkeley is now 2-7 on the year, and has two must-win games, starting with Orangeburg-Wilkinson this week to try to make the playoffs. James Island faces Stall in their homecoming game, while Stratford and West Ashley play in a Region 7-4A battle.
This week will be a very good week, led by what may be the biggest game in the Lowcountry in years (and that's not an understatement).
5) Laurence Manning at Porter-Gaud (Thursday): A very important game in SCISA. Porter-Gaud RB Trey Pierce was named athlete of the week by Channel 4. Porter-Gaud had a big win last night 35-14 to go to 4-5 on the year and keep their playoff hopes alive.
4) Ashley Ridge at Beaufort. This is a very important battle in Region 8-4A. The winner still has a chance to make the playoffs, the loser probably is out. Beaufort got blown out during their homecoming. They will be looking for redemption. Ashley Ridge lost last week to Bluffton. They have to win out (@ Beaufort, Summerville, @ Fort Dorchester) to make it, and even then they may be a little low on points.
3) Hanahan at Hilton Head. This game lost a lot of its luster when Hilton Head lost last week to OW. If they had won, this game would have been for the region. Now, Hanahan has a hold on the region, and can clinch with a win I believe.
2) Bishop England at Woodland. A huge region game there.
1) Goose Creek at Wando. One of the biggest games in the last few years in high school football here in the Lowcountry. Highway 17 was supposed to be closed, but because of the game, it stays open. MaxPreps said it was one of the top 10 games of the week in the entire country.
Here is a link with their take on the game. http://www.maxpreps.com/news/article.aspx?articleid=018765e2-0e4d-40e7-af23-24af904eb1a8&page=4
This game means everything. The winner probably wins the region championship, while the loser might get to host two playoff games. All 3 local TV stations are going to be live from the game. Wando will be amped up for this game. You might have a record crowd at the stadium tonight. It will be a great game.
Enjoy your teams!