Thursday, January 17, 2013

Clemson president to have triple-bypass tomorrow

Clemson University President James Barker is having a triple-bypass heart surgery tomorrow. He e-mailed the Clemson students first to tell them about his surgery less than an hour ago (around 5pm or so).

Prayers to him and his family.

Here is the e-mail to the students and professors:

Dear Clemson,

During a medical check-up this week, I became aware of a situation that will require immediate attention. Tomorrow morning, I will have triple bypass surgery at Greenville Memorial Hospital in order to treat blockages that were discovered during a heart catheterization today. This will require a hospital stay of five to seven days with visitation limited to family, and I anticipate a medical leave for recovery. I am delegating the responsibilities of office to Provost Dori Helms until the Board of Trustees can convene tomorrow and take any appropriate further actions.

I have every confidence of a complete recovery for several reasons. First, I am being treated by Clemson doctors and nurses. Second, I am in good health overall. Third, I have full confidence in the administrative team at Clemson to keep projects and priorities moving forward without a hitch. The Board of Trustees has been notified and has pledged their full support as well.

Be assured that I will keep you informed as I learn more from my doctors.

Sincerely,

--Jim Barker

James F. Barker

No comments:

Post a Comment